Saturday, April 21, 2007

New Chapter, New Beginning



I started my freelance venture on 16 April 2007. It signifies a new chapter and new beginning of my life. Feel like reborn and I am myself again with new motivation. I am currently enjoying the the 3 minutes - 2km journey from my place to the office, and the flexibility too.

My New Buddy - The "DELLNOSAUR"
I have got a new buddy now - 'DELLnosaur', a bulky DELL Inspirion 1501 notebook, weighted 28.1kg with 15.4 inches of wide screen, accompanying me to complete my daily work. I got DELLNOSAUR a new notebook backpack as it's so heavy to carry it with normal notebook casing.I bought a cooling pad too to cool my buddy down when using it at home without air-cond. I have another Dinosaur at home, an ancient desktop PC which is still running on Win98 in slow motion and restarts by itself occasionally, and without any USB port as well. Don't laugh, I know it's obsolete. My DELLNOSAUR is running Windows Vista Home Basic version, which is giving me a little bit of problem adapting to it. The transition isn't as smooth as compared to XP, which is so user friendly. Icons and features are reorganized/renamed in Windows Vista which is giving me a little hard time locating them. Anyway, I am grateful that I am provided a notebook which enables me to work at anytime, and anywhere. Thanks CH, really appreciate what you have offered me.

Some People May Wonder Why
Some people may wonder why I left my ex-company, which is 1 of the top executive search firms in town. Yes, it offers a great career path and good commision scheme. But in order to be there to achieve it, I'm trading my happiness and life balance till sometimes I felt like loosing myself. Is this what I want? The answer is definitely NO. Freelancing with CH has offered me something money can't buy - flexibility. Different people value different things in life. Very often, other people tend to evaluate things from their own stand points, with their own need as the core basis. They will wonder why you make this and that decisions and try commenting. Anyway, I know what I want. After all, I don't owe anyone any explaination. Do I? No, I don't. As simple as that.

I Found it!
It was a Monday on 16 April, SS2 was having pasar malam. Ever since I moved to Pantai Hillpark in year 2000, I seldom go anymore. And now, my office is just within walking distance to the pasar malam, I revisited the pasar malam after so many years. Walked passed a CD stall and saw something that I have been searching for. Yes, I found it! I found Corrine Bailey Rae's CD which I have been searching for at different pasar malam but to no avail. Her songs are really nice! I just love the CD! Bought a lot of yummy food for dinner too. Saw an aunty selling fish ball ikan parang, I asked, "Aunty, have you been selling fish ball here for many years?" "Yes, more than 10 years." Haha, confirmed, this is the tasty fried fishball that I used to buy from her during those days when I was still studying in UM, with SS2 pasar malam being 1 of the usual hanging out spots. There's another fat guy selling yummy tau fu fa, but I just couldn't locate his stall. What a SS2 Pasar Malam (Monday) revisited, after so many years, around 6 years I guess. Now that I have moved back to PJ and with office at SS2, there will be lots of chances for me to visit the pasar malam again.

The Embarressments
I have 2 neighbours in the office, J- the landlord, and K who is running his own business. During the first week, I would see J daily but seldom bumped into K. One evening, there were only K & me left in the office, of course in our own rooms respectively. So shit, my left shoe's string was broken! Wanted to go to toilet, but saw K making a drink at the pantry. Decided not to go because I didn't want to walk past him with my left foot bare as it's very weird and embarassing. I packed my stuff, getting ready to go home. Who knows he knocked my door, saying "Hi, I am K. Nice to meet you. I am leaving soon. Are you leaving too? Is your colleague coming back?" With the door 1/2 opened, trying to hide my naked left foot "Yes, I am leaving very soon. She is not coming back." He went back to his room (next to my room) but left his door wide opened. Yes, it's chance to cabut! Oh great, he was on the phone! I swiftly speeded passed his room, waiving Bye Bye to let him know that I was going off so that he knew that he was to lock the doors. I speeded off with my kaki ayam, without turning my head back. I wasn't sure if he saw that. I think he did. That was so embarrassing! Guess what, the second time that I interacted with K face to face was when I fell at the staircase the other day. Luckily, CH was around. Was that a coincidence? Each time he appeared and talked to me, I was in an embarrassed condition. I hope no more 3rd time.

No comments: