Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Prayer Of The Night

Doreme (name altered) is a Filipino SAP professional that I had placed in a consulting firm in Malaysia back in end 2004. Leaving his family and friends back home, he took up the opportunity and came to Malaysia to work.

Time really flies, 4 years have passed and it's coming to the 5th year for him working abroad, away from family and friends.

Had a short chat with him in YM this evening while I was still in the office. Below is part of the conversations.

Doreme: hi, happy new year!
Me: hi, happy new year to u too!
Doreme: how are u?
Me: am good.
Me: so are things getting better after xxx bought over yyy? another one to follow soon, right? your contract renewed?
Doreme: yes, things are better. am in US now.
Me: great.
Me: which part of US?
Derome: east coast
Me: r u gonna be based there for long?
Doreme: got visa for 3 years.
Me: so u spent your x'mas in US?
Doreme: nope, i was back to the philippines. i fly back every 6 weeks.
Me: time really flies. how old are your kids now?
Doreme: 4 & 6. my son is diagnosed with ASD, have to work hard to send him for theraphy...


Knowing ASD as a disease name but not entirely sure what it is, I politely asked further.

Me: Sorry to hear this. Mind me asking what is the full term for ASD?
Doreme: Autism Spectrum Disorder


The medical term of Autism Spectrum Disorder is something new to me. I quickly checked it out at www.answers.com.

Me: I am so sorry to hear this...
Doreme: pray for me... if you do... add my son in...
Me: ok


Lost for words for a moment... I could deeply feel his pain as a father and his love for his son. He's been working abroad for the betterment of his family (I assume) apart from gaining overseas working exposure and he has to now continue working hard abroad (for the money) for this new reason. Thank god for what he is having is quite a niche skill with demand and quite some overseas opportunities with rather good pay. Knowing that I got to respond or at least say something positive, I continued.

Me: stay strong.
Doreme: thanks. am staying strong.

Me: may the force be with you and your son...

So, I took it as a promise to pray for Doreme tonight. I am a free thinker and I do not know what's the best to pray for and the best way to word my prayer but I am trying my best here to fulfill my promise.

Tonight, I sincerely pray that:
1. Doreme's son will recover asap
2. Things will be fine and may the force be with Doreme, his son and his family
3. Doreme's prayer will be answered

I hope my prayer will be heard.

No comments: